Dissemination of Domain Registration Information
Donuts Inc. ("Donuts") is required to collect and provide domain name registration information ("Whois Data") for a variety of purposes. Donuts provides access to Whois Data through a standard text-based network protocol on port 43. Whois Data can also be accessed on the Donuts website using a standard web interface at http://whois.donuts.co. Both interfaces are publicly available at no cost to the user and are reachable worldwide. This service is available to any Internet user and its use does not require prior authorization or permission.
Access to Whois Data in a Donuts registry operator’s database is provided to assist in determining the contents of a domain name’s registration record. Whois Data consists not only of the domain name but also the relevant contact information associated with the domain name as provided by the registrant. It also identifies nameserver delegation and the domain name’s registrar of record.
The data in this record is provided for informational purposes only; Donuts does not guarantee Whois Data accuracy. This service is intended only for query-based access. By submitting a Whois query to the Donuts shared registration system ("SRS"), you agree to abide by this Whois Access Policy (this "Policy"). Donuts reserves the right to modify this Policy at any time.
Security and Stability Considerations
Abuse of the Donuts Whois system through data mining is be mitigated by detecting and limiting bulk query access from single sources. Such queries by non-authorized parties will be limited and unauthorized queries may result in responses that do not include data sets representing significant portions of the registration database.
In addition, the Donuts Whois web interface may present a simple challenge to the user reduce automated access.
Donuts will employ a blacklist to block access to Whois Data by those found in violation of this Policy or any Donuts policy. At Donuts’ complete discretion, individual Internet protocol (“IP”) addresses or IP ranges may be prevented from accessing Whois Data.
By accessing Whois Data from a Donuts’ registry operator, you agree that you will use the Whois Data only for lawful purposes and that under no circumstances will you use the Whois Data to:
- allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission by e-mail, telephone, or facsimile of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations to any entities (other than your existing customers from whom you collected such information with their knowledge and permission);
- enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that send queries or data to the systems of Donuts or any ICANN-accredited registrar, except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or modify existing registrations; or
- collect or attempt to collect the majority or entirety of the Whois database contents.
Users who acquire Whois Data for any of the above purposes are prohibited from publishing the collected Whois Data.
When using the Donuts Whois service, consider the following:
- The Whois service is not a replacement for standard EPP commands to the SRS service.
- Whois Data is not considered authoritative for registered domain objects.
- The Whois service may be scheduled for downtime during production or operation, testing and evaluation maintenance periods.
- Queries to the Whois service may be “throttled” (i.e. if too many queries are received from a single IP address within a specified time, the service will begin to reject further queries for a period of time to prevent disruption of Whois service access).
ICANN educational and policy materials are available here: http://whois.icann.org