It’s been a blockbuster year for the .MOVIE gTLD as studios that used the domain raked in more than $2.1 billion in box office receipts over the past year.
Movie marketers have long been pioneers in the digital advertising space, and the .MOVIE sites have been no different. Starting with the TheHungerGames.Movie last November to last month’s DeepWaterHorizon.Movie, marketers at leading films studios—including Lionsgate and STX Entertainment—have shunned .COM for more descriptive domain names.
This doesn’t appear to be a fluke, either, as many more movies utilizing this name will debut in upcoming months, including: LiveByNight.Movie, PowerRangers.Movie, LaLaLand.Movie, JohnWick.Movie, and TheShack.Movie.
Unlike .COM, where all the valuable domain names have been scooped up over the last two decades, .MOVIE names are widely available. No dashes, no underscores—just the film’s name. .MOVIE enables studios to direct consumers to a short, memorable web address that stands out from the crowd.
Check out some of the uses of .MOVIE by some of the top grossing films of the year:
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
- Domain: TheHungerGames.Movie
- Box Office Revenue: $653.4 million
- Release Date: November 20, 2015
Now You See Me 2
- Domain: NowYouSeeMe.Movie
- Box Office Revenue: $334.8 million
- Release Date: June 10, 2016
The Divergent Series: Allegiant
- Domain: TheDivergentSeries.Movie
- Box Office Revenue: $179.2 million
- Release Date: March 14, 2016
Gods of Egypt
- Domain: GodsOfEgypt.Movie
- Box Office Revenue: $147.3 million
- Release Date: February 26, 2016
The Last Witch Hunter
- Domain: TheLastWitchHunter.Movie
- Box Office Revenue: 140.4 million
- Release Date: October 22, 2015